2019 Antonelli, Montefalco Rosso DOC, Umbria, Italy


6 in stock


Roving Sommelier is passionate about premium quality Italian regional wines. The Antonelli estate has existed in its current form since the thirteenth century, when it was a part of the Bishopric of Spoleto. The 170 hectares, 40 of which are planted to vines, remained in the church’s hands until 1881, when it was bought by local lawyer Francesco Antonelli. Estate bottling of the wines began in 1979 and in 1986 the fifth generation of the family, Filippo Antonelli, took charge after obtaining his degree in agriculture from Perugia University. The vineyards are all on slopes at around 350m altitude, to the west of the small town of Montefalco in the heart of Umbria. Olive oil is also made on the property and following the gift of a pair of breeding boars from his German importer, Filippo has been experimenting with home curing boar hams. Production is 25,000 cases per year from a gravity flow winery and the estate, having been run along organic lines for 20 years, gained organic certification from the 2012 vintage. Filippo also started experimenting with amphorae and skin contact whites. The quality of the wines here is breath-taking and among the best two or three producers in Umbria.

The main grape here in Montefalco is Sagrantino, which produces the great Sagrantino di Montefalco DOCG red wine. Regarded as “The Barolo of the South”, in the hands of talented and passionate winegrowers, Sagrantino di Montefalco DOCG has gone on to be one of Italy’s most iconic (and yet only recently discovered) vinous gems. A small handful of family producers, such as Antonelli, amongst others, have gained a world class reputation for this well-structured and intensely flavoursome red. The Montefalco Rosso is the region’s second wine with a DOC classification. The 2019 Montefalco Rosso DOC is mainly made up of 70% Sangiovese grapes, with the remaining 30% made up of Sagrantino, typical of the region, and other local varieties. For me, it is a great alternative to Chianti wines of neighbouring Tuscany and a wine truly deserving to be discovered. Best enjoyed at room temperature and in a convivial atmosphere, preferably with a nice bowl of pasta with a traditional ragu sauce or char-grilled meats and sausages.

Alcohol: 14% abv (75cl)

Closure: Cork

Grape varieties: Mainly Sangiovese, amongst other local grapes.

Flavour Profile: Medium-to-full-bodied, Highly aromatic, Powerful, Forest fruits, Complex, Elegant, Spice, Savoury, Supple tannins, Good natural acidity.