2008 Kűnstler, “Hochheim Hölle”, Riesling, Trocken, Rheingau, Germany


1 in stock


Roving Sommelier is passionate about premium quality German regional wines. In addition, I love Riesling with a passion. I love its fruitiness, vibrant freshness and mouth-watering acidity, which, for me makes Riesling very food friendly. There is scarcely another white grape variety that reflects the characteristics of its terroir as precisely as Riesling does.

I visited Kűnstler back in 2006 when I was part of an organised sommelier trip around top German vineyards. For me, it was a great experience, not only because I got to meet other fellow sommeliers, but also to enjoy some decent food and wine. Germans love their hospitality. I also noticed that our glasses always remained topped up.

Kűnstler is based in the quaint village of Hochheim in the Rheingau and has been making fine wines since 1648. The south-facing Erstes Gewächs (Premier Cru) “Hölle” vineyard is located east of the old town of Hochheim, and has a 15-degree gradient, which slopes down towards the river Main. The family owns nearly 25 hectares of vines in this prestigious vineyard site. It is planted with mainly Riesling (96%) grapes, with the rest (4%) as Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir).

The wine is characterful, highly aromatic and fresh with lovely, citrus oil and floral notes and a signature minerality on the finish. This powerful, single vineyard Riesling can also age very well. Best enjoyed chilled and in a convivial atmosphere.

Alcohol: 13.5% abv (75cl)

Closure: Vinolok

Grape variety: Riesling

Flavour Profile: Clean, Fresh, Dry, Highly aromatic, Citrus, Zesty, Apple, Grapefruit, Stone Fruits, Floral, Mouth-watering acidity