Bread and butter pudding (using pain au chocolat)
This is a useful recipe when you have leftover pain au chocolats from breakfast. You could also use leftover croissants or panettone instead. In fact, it’s even better when they’re slightly stale, as they absorb the custard much better.
- 4 pain au chocolat
- 75 ml milk
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 75 g dark chocolate broken into small pieces
- 50 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees centigrade/Gas mark 2. Cut each pain au chocolat into three equal pieces across widthways and pack them into an ovenproof dish.
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Drop in the chocolate and stir until it has melted and become smooth.
- Mix the eggs and sugar together in a bowl and pour the chocolate mixture over, whisking all the time. Then slowly pour the chocolate ‘custard’ over the pain au chocolats, allowing the custard to be absorbed before adding more.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly crisp and the centre is still wobbly. Serve warm with crème Chantilly or ice cream.
Drink suggestion: Pedro Ximenez, Bodegas Emilio Hidalgo, Jerez, Spain.Shop now
Recipe and wine pairing have been taken from Robert’s latest book “Theobroma Cacao is my drug of choice”.